Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Poppin' & Lockin'

There's something about watching people dance that I find incredibly entertaining.
  No no no, I'm not talking about that drunk guy/girl you always see in the club trying to 'wow' the crowd with their sloppy robot moves or trying to be the next Beyonce (and you're thinking please stop...but at the same time you're kinda thinking...nahh actually keep going, this could be interesting).
Even though my photos are blurry, I kinda like the effect. It's like you can see an echo/ghost of their movements.
On Saturday I went to Islington to watch the 2011 National B-Boy Championships - which was a huge dance event open to crews, solo b-boys and solo poppers from across the UK.
Just so I don't bore you with all the details, I'll try and keep this short. Some of the dancers were actually amazing, it was like wtf how the hell did you manage to make your body move in that way?! It was unreal, seriously, I'm sure it's part dance and part ILLUSION.
OK I'm gonna sum it up, if you're not really interested in dance, that's fair enough, but the only way I can describe why I love watching stuff like this is like.....you know when you watch two people debating about something & then one of them makes a killer point (probably backed up by a long inspiring speech & aggressive finger pointing) and completely destroys their opponent's feeble argument (leaving them completely speechless) and everyone cheers and it's like BAM! You got SERVED!
Yeh, just apply that to two dancers battling it out.

Here's a video I took of one of my favourites:
video
Ha I love the bit where he glides across the floor.
Smooooooooooth.

One of the dancers decided to call himself 'your mum' so that when he was called up, the guy on the mic shouted out "can I have your mum on the floor?"
 lol.


Thanks for reading! x

1 comment: